Pages

May 1, 2013

Shoop Troop Elementary

In the summer of 2012, we finally decided to take the plunge and start homeschooling. I asked my husband to just give me the chance to see if we could do it. He had lots of concerns, and so did I, but in the end we knew we would never know unless we tried. We decided to tell the boys that it would be a one year trial and at the end of the year we would all sit-down, evaluate how it went and decide if it was worth doing again. Well, it didn't take close to a year to realize it was what was best for our family. That's not to say it has been easy.....heavens no! But, it has been a blessing and a chance to grow so much closer to our boys.

We have 4 children. Our oldest, my stepson, is 14 and is finishing his 8th grade year. Although, he has asked to be homeschooled, and we would love it if he was, he has two families and it just isn't a possibility.

Our 2nd oldest son is 9 and in the 3rd grade. He was the hardest to convince about leaving public school, but now he is my biggest fan!

Our 3rd son is 6, almost 7, and in 1st grade. Nothing bothers this kid! He just goes with the flow and homeschool was fine by him.

And our 4th son is now 2 years old, and currently a tot-on-a-tear! He has brought a whole new crazy, loud, disruptive, frustrating, and oftentimes funny side to this school year.

Our school days start around 8:30 or whenever I have finished a cup of coffee. We try to finish by 1pm, although, sometimes it takes longer and some days we even finish as early as 11am. We only have school on Monday-Thursday and have the same days off as our local school. This way the kids don't have to be tortured by hearing the neighborhood kids outside playing.

The curriculum we use is a smorgasbord of things I have pieced together from sales, clearances, used books, online printables, etc. Next school year I will hopefully be more prepared, but this year I did the best I could! I have the grade level benchmarks and the kids are meeting all of them in perfect time, so I know we are on the right track.

And that is a day in the life of Shoop Troop Elementary!

No comments: